MedProEd, LLC - Medical Professional Educators
EMERGENCY MEDICAL EDUCATION
MedProEd provides your team with practical, hands-on training for applying and practicing the management of medical emergencies together, in your environment using your emergency equipment. We teach dental providers how to plan & respond together.
The EMED program engages participants in a way that they learn to confidently recognize a problem, understand what they encounter, and effective steps to manage the event. EMED is delivered in a way that is applicable to all staff, not just the dentist. The focus is on a TEAM approach and preparing everyone involved to perform tasks appropriate for their role. This education is delivered in a nonthreatening, nonintimidating manner, empowering your team with the knowledge & skills to be at-the-ready for a medical crisis – not just fill in CE time.
Standard classes for medical emergencies are based on powerpoint slide presentations. This is NOT effective for dental teams to know what to do and how to do it. Let us consider how it is a matter of risk management, liability and adequate preparedness, not just continuing education hours.
Also consider the cost of sending all staff to a class somewhere. Travel, lodging, meals, course fees, office down time, plus learning in an unfamiliar location that does not replicate your working environment. Now consider a few hours spent with all staff together in your facility. You have immediate benefit from your time and effort invested, applicable directly to your office!
Want to have some hands-on skills and scenario-based training for your office? How about combined sessions with some colleagues' offices? Need some quality education to fill some training on your calendar? Just a morning or afternoon session? All day training? We have myriads of subject lessons that can be provided in one or more scheduled time periods for you and your staff.
HANDS-ON SKILLS & TOPICS FOR
OFFICE & GROUP SESSIONS/MEETINGS
Below are examples of education we provide for dental professionals. Our philosophy is that learning in a classroom setting limits the application of what we teach, and it is more meaningful and practical to use the skills in the setting your team will operate. For dentists that have to hold ACLS or PALS certification, EMED is geared to provide application of Advanced Cardiac Life Support & Pediatric Advanced Life Support tailored to the dental environment, unlike the hospital-based ACLS/PALS courses. The principles and science of ACLS & PALS are practiced in a way that is understandable and applicable to dental professionals. It is also taught in a way that prepares the whole team to recognize and react effectively to medical situations. In addition, non-cardiac emergencies are also explained with algorithms to guide the dentist. Patient assessment, airway and ventilatory management, oxygen administration, basic and advanced airway adjuncts, maximizing the effectiveness of CPR, use of AEDs and cardiac arrest management are included.
- Cardiac events*: Cardiac arrest, non-arrest cardiac events (angina/MI, tachycardias & bradycardias)
- Non-Cardiac events*: anaphylaxis, laryngospasm, bronchospasm, respiratory depression, syncope, hypoglycemia, emesis/aspiration, foreign body airway obstruction, seizures, hypotension, hypertension, stroke
- BLS and ALS Airways*: administering oxygen via nasal cannula and non-rebreather mask, BLS oropharyngeal & nasopharyngeal airways, ventilating the apneic and hypoventilating patient with proper rate & volume, emergency suctioning, advanced airways as alternatives to endotracheal intubation (supraglottic airways).
- Mock events with scenario-based learning (preannounced or unannounced)
- Pharmaceuticals for emergencies*
- Administration routes for emergency medications*: intranasal, sublingual, oral, IM, IV, intraosseous
- Office preparation*: creating an emergency plan, organizing and using the emergency kit, communicating with EMS providers, documentation during an event, roles of team members, handling events outside of treatment rooms
- Lifting and moving patients
- Infection control